Thursday, April 9, 2015

Comedy of Errors!!

April 6-7, 2015

After much planning today is the day we take off for India to go tour the Taj Mahal and then to Nepal to trek to Mt. Everest Base Camp. Our small group consists of my brother Rob and our new friend Kendra. There was a feeling of excitement and nervousness as Rob and I left for the airport being driven by his friend. Kendra was taking another flight and was meeting us in Delhi.

April 6-8, 2015

The day started to turn upside down while on our way to the airport and Rob received a call from Kendra saying that she has been denied boarding and going to India because she does not have a VISA. Rob and Kendra had filled out the applications and were told by many people that they could obtain the VISA upon arrival in the country. Well, not true for US citizens. After dealing with the ticket desk and phone calls to the India Embassy Rob had to change reservations and flew out the next day arriving in Kathmandu on 4/8/15 at 8:30 pm. Kendra flew to Abu Dhabi after spending a day in the airport before arriving in Kathmandu on 4/8/15 at 3:30 pm.

I had much better luck, but there was still some comedy of errors!! I had my India VISA and was already booked for Delhi, but it was not worth staying in India as planned not knowing if Rob and Kendra would get there. I quickly left to board my flight and with only a few minutes to spare I left a message for Jiban Ghimire, Shangri-La Nepal Trek (The Fixer's Fixer per Outside Magazine), and asked him to book my flight to Kathmandu.

Rob at that time was still on the phone with the India Embassy. After the flight left I realized that Rob had all of my Nepali and India money and I only had a little US cash. On arrival to Delhi on 4/7/15 Jiban texted my flight information. Here is where I made a gigantic mistake. At the top of the text message it gave me the address to SpiceJet. I showed my text to a worker at the airport and I was told to leave the airport and drive to the address. In my mind I thought it may have been a private airline separate from the main airport. To my extreme frustration after dragging my luggage, hailing a taxi, going to the stated address I was told that I needed to go back to the airport and board my flight in Terminal 3. The good thing is that my taxi back to the airport was half the price...I only got ripped off once!!

No comments:

Post a Comment