Monday, April 13, 2015

Lukla to Monjo

4/10/15 Trek Day 1 Lukla to Monjo

I was restless throughout the night and slept for about 4 hours.  Rob  remained jet lagged and slept much less the previous 2 nights. We were awoke at 4:30 am to eat and leave for the airport. The streets of Kathmandu were almost empty, a huge contrast from the busy, noisy, chaotic city during the day hours. The airport was under construction and the entrance to the terminal building was through one small door. Single file lines are not their practice. A sea of people coming from all angles were pushing their way to enter. There was no wait time after entering, the weather was cooperative and our flight left Kathmandu at 6:25 am.  Upon arrival I had another surprise and found out that a guide from my previous trek, Babu, was one of our porters. He was the only guide that I had not maintained contact with over the last 2 years because he is not on Facebook. I also found and purchased a bottle of Mt Everest Whiskey, it is my understanding that it is not made anymore.

We began the trek and I quickly felt the consequences of my lack of preparation. I reluctantly admit that I couldn't wait to return to Nepal to see the people and I needed to be there to support my brother, but I was dreading climbing this hill. My brother Rob has a form of Muscular Dystrophy, Myotonic Dystrophy Type II. The disease causes progressive muscle wasting that is in the upper arms and shoulder and the thighs and hips. Rob's had electrical heart complications due to the disease leading to 4 cardiac ablations. This kept him from joining my previous trek to Mt Everest Base Camp. I needed to be here for him and I should have known better and worked out harder.

It took us 3 hours to trek to Phakding where we had lunch.  Then we set off for Monjo which took 2 hours 45 minutes. My body was screaming, Rob too was feeling the pain and exhaustion the last couple hours of the climb. He admitted only one episode in which his heart raced for a moment. Kendra remained the champ of the day appearing to have no issues. I had hopes to take my time, look around at the beautiful scenery while walking, but this didn't work out so well. If I choose to stay upright and not flat on the ground I need to watch where my feet are going. Throughout the day I felt extremely nauseated, felt symptoms of reflux and had horrible epigastric pain every time I ate or drank water. I'm thinking it was a side effect of the Diamox. Because I felt so bad, I'm going to choose to stop the Diamox.

We arrived at the Tea House in Monjo and were shown our rooms. This was the best room I've had, it had a connecting bathroom. We all took naps before dinner and went to bed early in hopes to feel fully recovered for the strenuous trek tomorrow to Namche Bazar.





No comments:

Post a Comment